Wednesday, January 4, 2012

More City loss comments and Suarez guilty BUT...

 
Link above captures a lot of the key points and good tactical analysis.
 
He has however in my humble opinion missed out on a a few minor details that needs pointing out. The analysis does not discuss how Kuyt drifted up front more as the game wore on (or at least at different points int he game) and that Henderson played as a winger for the majority of the time however when this happened.
 
I also think he fails to point out that Agger could have got closer to Aguero more quickly however, with Aggers lack of pace and with Kun's low centre of gravity it is possibly understanable. I still believe he could have got closer and made it more difficult for Kun to get his shot away. In the end, Reina still should have saved it and he will be happy to admit that.
 
--
 
Suarez case goes on and on...
 
What surprises me is that no one at all talks about the abuse Evra gave Suarez about his daughter. No punishment makes that ok then? That is in fact the message FA sends out.
 
LFC would be in danger for extending his suspension to 10 games and with the FA already showing their inability to be fair on numerous occasions this season, why would they all of a sudden have common sense in this one. Media is jumping on the band wagon and many that comment has not got enough information. If you read the report from the FA, I totally agree that LS was in the wrong. He should be suspended but "the punishment does not fit the crime...". 
 
Considering circumstances, that abuse of many forms including family abuse and swearing in the English game is widespread and they tolerate these forms of abuse, they have gone way too far with this 8 game suspension. 
 
The report clearly stated that the abuse Evra threw Suarez' way came first. That should be a mitigating factor. Another one is Suarez' background where as has been widely discussed, racism is not dealt with in the same manner as in the UK.
 
I acknowledge Suarez has overstepped his boundary here and has used language in a way that should be punished, and I applaud FA's ability to deal with it.
 
The punishment however is too severe and if you punish one sort of abuse you cannot ignore other often just as serious and hurtful and in many opinions more so.
 
To be frank and straight forward I will use myself as an example. Personally, I would be much more offended if someone said things about my wife, my daughter or my mother than if someone called me for example white trash (which could be likened to negro or negrito according to spanish talking references). 
 
I think people have gone to far with this and it should be put to bed once and for all. 
 
LFC I am guessing, despite their statements was not willing to risk taking a say 10 game suspension where Suarez misses the games against Spurs and United as well as the 8 (7 remaining) he now is out for. 3 against city, stoke, bolton, oldham and Wolves. apart from the 2 left against City the rest should be winnable with Bellamy and Carroll up front.
 
 
Any rumours from reliable sources on transfers this window?
 
New wishlist due to availability... Samba, Tevez and Lasana Diarra.
 
YNWA,
Stian
 
 
 
 

 

Registrer GRATIS e-postadresse fra Turbokapitalist.com på http://www.turbokapitalist.com | DyrkMammon.no og stemDLF.no

3 comments:

lexxxa469 said...

It is obvious that you have little or no concept of how humiliating racism can be and it's inevitable consequences (subjugation/slavery/holocaust/death.. steven lawrance being an example). To compare a slur such as "white trash" with an anti-Semitic or anti-black epithet betrays your lack of understanding on the issues and the deeper connotation conveyed by certain abusive terms and phrases.

To look at the words in isolation is to completely miss the point. Certain words convey centuries of injustice and persecution and attempts to make the receiver of the insult feel sub-human and inferior.

Specific to this case, why do you think an independent panel, which included a QC, would falsify evidence against LS? They say he used the word, "Negro" towards PE seven times but you dismiss this and maintain he only used the word once... based on what evidence? Can you explain to me why an independent panel would falsify evidence?

sga555 said...

Hi Axel,

I appreciate where you are coming from and I believe you giving Suarez way too much credit when you believe there was racist undertones in what he said.

As you have pointed out I am also leaning more towards to accepting FA's evidence after an inquiry than Suarez however I still do not believe that he is smart enough to put anymore into this than trying to wind up Suarez.

I honestly do believe that there is very few that do in fact discriminate on color based on the historic meanings of the word nigger, negro or what ever. I am well aware of its historic meaning but you have to see this in a context.

This is a man who come from a place where the racism issue has not been dealt with in a proper manner, where cheating (diving and complaining) plain lack of respect for referees and hand gestures to that effect goes un-noticed on a daily basis.

If he had any kind of intelligence he would not be showing his finger to the Fulham fans and he would not be gesticulating in the manner he has over the past 5 months. I say that considering the petulance he continues to show after being here for 6 months (arrived in Liverpool in January). One should also not forget that this is the same man that was suspended in Netherlands for 7 games after he bit into the shoulder of opponent Otman Bakkal.

Assuming that his man has got the integrity and intelligence to know the historical undertones of the word and use the word intending to degrade Evra to that is simply giving LS a bit too much recognition in my opinion.

There have been some horrible acts performed in the past with regards to subjugation/slavery/holocaust/death) as you correctly mention.

Likening this situation to what happened to Stephen Lawrence is going quite out of line and moreover giving Suarez way too much credit.

Remember that this is a man who has played football all his life and continues to make silly mistakes despite being slapped on the wrist several times and despite having a decent grasp of the English language.

He has terrific talent and few argues with that as football fans. I have stated in my blog in the past that he never needed to keep up his antics in terms of complaining and going down to easily.

By the way you never answered a few of my questions in your tweet.

Who do you support?
What is your view on video evidence?

And how come you submitted your comment anonymously?

YNWA,
Stian

lexxxa469 said...

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, a very intelligent and considered response that I enjoyed reading.

To answer your questions quickly, I didn't post anonymously (at least I input my name when prompted) and I did tweet that I was a fan of 'The Arsenal' so I have no vested interest in the Suarez-Evra affair except my hatred of bigotry in all its forms.

While I accept the fact that Suarez is not an intellectual but a professional footballer I believe he was fully aware of the insulting nature of his comments to Evra. He may not know the historical significance or reasons why but is instinctively aware of the provocation using such words causes.

I'm interested that you mention my reference to the recent Lawrence case and that you feel it has no reference to this case. But both cases are born of the same attitudes although the end results cannot be compared since the Suarez-Evra debate is inconsequential by comparison.

To end I think the most disappointing aspect of this whole affair has been the attitude of the club and in particular Daglish. As previously stated I am an Arsenal fan and of an age to remember the great Liverpool sides of the late 70's and 80's. I used to hold Liverpool FC in very high regard since they always appeared to conduct their business in a dignified manner exuding an aura of class. Sad to say however their actions have destroyed any ideas of class and dignity I had previously attributed to Liverpool FC. I find Daglish's behaviour particularly reprehensible and to this day I cannot believe a media savvy organisation such as a football club has misjudged the situation so badly and allowed Daglish to act in the manner he has done. Sad to say the so called 'King' is now dead, in my mind at least.

Here's a link to another blog written by a man far more articulate than myself which you may find interesting: http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/start-of-2012-seems-to-have-put-race-at.html?spref=tw

With regard to video evidence I am all for any technology that helps the officials of the game come to correct and consistent decisions. I don't see any reason why "over the goal line" and offside decisions cannot be quickly checked by the 4th official on a video monitor. After all the 4th officials role at the moment is policing the technical area and operating the substitution board!