Sunday, July 31, 2011

Liverpools midfield... and starting 11 @ Black Cats with 2days squad

Main reason for this post is the article below that Greg Roughley

Stian Andersen

My personal choice would be this 11....

Reina

Kelly Agger Skretel Johnson

Adam Lucas (yes I know I have critized him a ton)

Kuyt Mereiles (can play all midfield positions) Downing

Carrolll (Suarez cud play here or AM)


Bench:
Suarez,
Henderson,
Aquilani,
Flanagan,
Carragher
Joe Cole,
Fabio Aurelio

-----

Suarez not in the squad. Yes I know. Thinking he might be tired and not right after Copa but on second thought he is on holiday and should be sharp by the time the league start comes around.

The fun thing now is that even without Gerrard and Torres (long gone) we have options.

Several other options:

Henderson on the right for Kuyt.
Mereiles in that deep role for Lucas (giving Suarez a spot right behind Carroll)
Alternatively I believe Henderson can play there (AM or pulled back striker) but it is maybe not his best position. I would have to see more games of him before I could make a judgement.

Adam could also feature in that position (attacking mid that is). If he does he will get goals but I am scared he would get too defensive. Would like him to captain the team if Agger is fit and then we do not need to play Carragher as much this year.

Worried he will start in Agger's posistion though. Can someone tell me why we resigned Kyriakos. If we have ambitions to break into top four I simply do not think he is good enough. Personally I think we should go for Samba at Blackburn. He is quick, tall, strong and a leader at the back and could complement Skretel quite well.

Then I would actually believe in a title push. Wonder how much these youngsters will play this year as well. Spearing, Shelvey, Young Flanagan and Robinson all showed a lot of promise. I would like to see Daniel Ayala or Danny Wilson be given a chance at back in the center if we do not sign a central defender instead of giving big Soto too many games.

Insua was always lambasted and seems to be doomed at Liverpool but I think he could have a future on that left back. Personally I still think Johnson is a better choice as he played really well towards last season in that position but Insua wasnt terrible before that. He showed a lot of promise especially under Rafa before Roy came in and if I am not mistaken he broke into the Argentina game for a game or two... (should be mentioned under Maradonna's reign but still...)

I am still not sure I think Spearing should be given a chance in one of those defensive mid positions. He probably will though because he is scouse, he played really well when he was asked to step up last season under Kenny and he represents that proper Liverpool spirit.

Hopefully he can keep developing and be a great squad player but I am not convinced he is a regular starter in a top 4 team yet. Therefore I remain reserved in my judgement on him.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention the Gregg Roughley article above at the very top again... about Liverpoolæs midfield this year. I still haven't mentioned Aquilani, Joe Cole, Maxi Rodriguez. Those are all decent internationals that can play a role and if they fight for a place might get in the team at various places across that midfield.

Aurelio is not a bad player either and could get a game or two in either of the left sided positions should he manage to get himself fit.

All in all I think it looks like we have a much stronger team that we have had in years. Defense still lacks a singing at center back and I think we would be well set for the season. Personally I do not think the need at left back is that urgent. Glen Johnson, Insua and Aurelio can all do a job there and Robinson will only get better if he gets a game or two.

YNWA,
Stian






Below is some of my tweets from last few days.


ladyantebellum
by sga555

Stian Andersen
third behind Man U, Man city if Torres scores less than 15 goals they may even b 4th behind LFC as well. Ur guess of top 6?

Stian Andersen

Stian Andersen

No comments: