Friday, May 27, 2011

End of season summary/thoughts, transfer rumours and summer signings and a decent spurs blog

http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2011/5/23/this-is-as-good-as-it-gets.html

Thought I would start by sharing this spurs blog. Podcasts and blogs
that entertain about football always deserves a mention.

The football ramble is a good, entertaining and free podcast available on Itunes. Thought I would bring it up as I recently discovered it and there is a decent amount of banter going on in that pod.

Of course now that the season is over I do not know how much material will be available going forward. Believe the chappers podcast and
guardian will be taking a break as well in next few months. (Latter two are more informative in nature but still entertaining)

I should apologize for the lack of activity on the on my blog lately.

Despite king kenny signing a contract and us doing well I haven't been able to get as excited about the end of the season. Sort of got my fill
of footy towards the end. Sad to say it but I think it was a combo of not believing in the Euro run properly... Yes, I know I am a pessimist
and get carried away with the momentum as everyone else was when we beat man city, newcastle and fulham which led me to stick a wager on pool beating Tottenham.

Lesson learnt, again... Don't get ur hopes up cause they will just get crushed. Supporting a football club that should be successful and has
been it in the past is never easy. I think most football fans gets disappointed from time to time though. It is human nature to expect and
hope for better things... more trophies, more wins and players to always reach or even outperform their potential.

Thought all in all it was decent season after xmas but last two games for LFC show we still showed lack a lot in our squad.

People tend to forget also that we lost to west brom and west ham during kenny's great revival.

Players missing has been mentioned previously and I was encouraged by January transfers but this summer will go on to show us if these owners really mean business. 

Due to resurfacing rumors about us signing charlie adam, ashley young I thought I would mention them. The people I have seen mentioned over the last few days however that has got me quietly excited is scotty parker and eljiro eliah. Both would be a terrific start to our strengthening
this summer. Jose enrique is anohter addition that would fit in perfectly.
 
Next I would target (as previously mentioned) cherno samba to complete the transfers in the summer.

Departures suggested:
Kyriakos, still think we could afford to let lucas go if we get parker in although he has started to show a lot more good games since kenny
came in. The lack of pace will always be a bit of an issue for him to become top class. 
 
Despite great form I think maxi should leave (yes I stand by what I have previously said). That means we need replacements in addition to elia
eljero. (Kuyt might need to fill in more up front and we need a typical winger (one that can beat people or at least supply quality accurate
balls into the box) to step in at right midfield.

If we want to improve we need to renew the squad. Part of that is getting rid of mediocre players... Or above average at time but not top
4 players.

Shelvey has taken major steps this season. I think he has potential to score a lot of goals and be our offensive midfielder.

Joe cole keeps disapointing me but I still feel he hasn't been given a proper run or chance in the team. Much like what was the case with
babel. Maybe they do not deserve it and if they are not going to given a chance I think we are better off getting rid of them. We did with babel
and got decent cash for him. Question is if joe cole would give us any money back. We signed him on a free, he has barely played (partly due to
injuries, partly due to poor performances when getting the chance in EL, partly due to great play by the guys that has come into the team).

Carra has had a major season but will become more and more injury prone and will only get slower. What a hero tho to be second in overall
performances at our club.

Spearing has surprised me and many others this last half a season. He needs however to keep improving if he is going to have a future. Again I
would ask if he has the potential to be a top 4 player. I think he has gotten more playing time this year due to two things; 1) Gerrard being
out 2) lack of proper wingers leading to mereiles playing there for much of the time.

Fair play to the him though. He is a local lad, has developed tremendeously, played some great games and formed a decent partnership with lucas. Although they have played some great games together and are said to play better against large teams look at their performance against Tottenham. Sandro and modric showed their class and won the midfield battle. It is only one game and yes I know it was different at man city.

My point is I don't think we have anywhere close to a world class midfield anymore and when we had alonso and mascerano as well as gerrard
in central mid I thought we did.

Carroll - too early to judge and was injured too much in his first half a season for the club.
 
Glad Reina is staying but like me he needs to be convinced the project is working and FSG will continue to improve the squad with top quality purchases. He can see as everyone else that Carra and Gerrard are getting older and traditionally Gerrard has had injuries.
 
Skretel has had a very decent season as well. Think we should keep faith in him going forward.
 
At the end of the day we still need to strengthen however. Hope that happens in the summer to get me excited again by the time the season comes around.
 
Comments, suggested signings (saw that mata was mentioned today on echo) and expectations are always welcome. Drop me a note on twitter (sga555) or by email sga555@gmail.com or comment on the blog.
 
YNWA,
Stian



--
Home Phone:    + 1 403 455 1322
Cell Phone:    + 1 403 971 7775



Please reply to:
sga555@gmail.com

Home Address:
530 Everridge Drive, SW.
T2Y 5E5 Calgary, AB

 

Registrer GRATIS e-postadresse fra Turbokapitalist.com på http://www.turbokapitalist.com | DyrkMammon.no og stemDLF.no

No comments: