Sunday, March 28, 2010

No cash despite 4th place finish, United game and Sunderland in a few hours

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/benitez-i-have-no-cash-for-a-summer-spree-1928674.html

I know I went out against Rafa and criticized him for previous mistakes made.

I think the Lucas problem is still around, although he could be a decent backup player. He just does not fit playing together with Mascherano in that central midfield area unless you are playing far inferior opposition.

After the loss against United I was as disappointed as most people including Arsenal fans, however I was puzzled by the media reaction after the fact. Ferguson was praised for his tactical moves and based on the pundits commentaries it sounded like United had steamrolled over a Liverpool team that seemed lacklustre and out of sorts.

No fair play, the assessment of Liverpool was ok. We did not perform on the day and compared to recent games against United we did not look ourselves.

Keepign that in mind, normally when other teams have a European night only four days before a massive "derby" game like that, the fatigue is always mentioned as an excuse if Arsenal, United or Chelsea fail to win. Yet, at least in the 4 footy podcasts I listened to throughout the week there was no mention of the fatigue factor.

Ferguson was praised for his use of Park in the middle with energy and Liverpool was criticized for not attacking Gary Neville.

Now, the latter I was comcpletely in agreement with and why Babel did not start after great games against Lille and Pompey is a mystery to me. He is finally coming good and I do not know why Rafa does not sometimes try to stick with younger players that need the confidence and games in a row to get better. He seems to pick his favourites. If you are not in that bunch the challengers will have to play out of their skin to get consecutive games.

Personally I think Rafa wouldl have impressed a lot of people if he deared to be expansive and gone at Man United in the last game. Especially attacking an aging Gary Neville.

For tomorrow I hope he learns from his mistakes and puts Babel back in the team along with Aquilani(yes, I am aware that he had a stomac bug/virus against united).

I think we should also give Emiliano Insua a break. The kid is young, learning and hits some of the best crosses in all of premier league from the left side. If we keep showing fait in him I think he and Glen Johnson can prove to be huge hits in the future.

Personally I hope Gerrard is back alongside Masch in central midfield tomorrow, with Babel on the left, Kuyt on the right and Benayoun or Maxi right behind Torres.

Sunderland's defence has been suspect but they always seem to create chances and with Darren Bent in great form I think we need to have a right go tomorrow to win the game. Sunderland have had a resurgence and it was after our defeat their bad run started so I think we should be weary. They can be great but their defence is shaky....

I have got faith and believe in a 3-1 win tom.

YNWA,

Stian

No comments: