Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Good Guardian verdict of Liverpool season as well as my verdict on the Chelsea league game


Quote from this article:

Liverpool are still a work in progress
 
"This was a result for Dalglish to savour, a victory to make the rest of the division sit up and take real notice. Yet, as his team contemplate a nine-match unbeaten run that has put them level on points with fourth place, there will be frustration at the wastefulness that has ensured Manchester City remain so distant at the top. Had Liverpool prevailed in matches they would have expected to win – most notably at home to Swansea City, Norwich City and Sunderland, but also even against Manchester United and Stoke City in games they dominated – they would be title contenders. Their unbeaten sequence suggests consistency, though that is deceptive. They are a team capable of startling results but they remain a work in progress. Even so, under Dalglish, the future feels decidedly bright again."
 
Before I start my verdict of the game I should mention that I only started watching 12 minutes in. Ergo I guess this is a partial verdict of the game.
 
I thought we were the best team for most of the game despite being pushed back and pressured in and around 45-60 minutes where Chelsea were the better team. At this point when we were being pushed back I considered Henderson and Downing to be great in coming in and winning back control in midfield... Henderson ran his bottocks off and Downing pushed Ivanovic back after he was becoming more prominent and more visible on that offensive right back/right winger position behind Sturridge.  
 
The one thing I am dissatisfied with in the game was Enrique's defending for the 2-1 goal, and I am going to wait until I have watched BBC's match of the day tonight before I post my final view. Jose Enrique is totally oblivious to the fact that Daniel Sturridge is running in freely on the back post.
 
The pressure from our other full back Glen Johnson on the cross/shot (it was really a missed shot) coming in from Florent Malouda I believe was not good enough either but it is Enrique that is primarily responsible for the goal.
 
Enrique did however offer lots going forward and it about having that perfect balance. It is hard to master and Ashley Cole at his best (a while back) managed that perfectly. 
 
I thought both Skertel and Agger had a great game but could have taken more control at the back. We are missing a leader when Carra is not in there in defence and I think that is partly why Kenny still opts for playing him when fit. I do not agree with that despite his organisational skills. Agger or Skertel or even Reina who was our captain on Saturday should have the presence of mind to organise and specifically in that situation communicate with Jose Enrique to be aware of their right winger/striker coming in on the far side.
 
Having said that I thought many played a good game on Saturday and man of the match could have gone to a number of people. Reina, Agger, Glen Johnson (due to his offensive contribution - defending was still poor), Agger, Skertel all played well. Enrique was the one player that I didnt think had a great game mainly due to the one situation already menioend above. Having said that Lucas, apart from a short period in the second half when mata drifted in centrally, played well along side Adam. I saw there was a few article this week in different papers inclduing the Echo where he talked about their partnership developing.
 
I would also say Kuyt played ok and same with Maxi. Despite his goal I would hope that Maxi does not get to continue starting place as I think we need the treath of Downing down that left side. City is a better team than Chelsea, play 4231 typically and have offensive wingers with full backs pusing up (much like Chelsea) but if we want to go and attack them I think we can peg their full backs (guessing that Richards and Clichy will be back after Zabaleta and Kolarov played in CL yesterday [and lost me some money], and Downing or Bellamy are better at challenging and going past on the wings.
 
I would probably prefer us to have Bellamy stay up front due to his qualities as a goal scorer (more so than Suarez and Carroll) with Carroll coming on as a sub and Downing starting on the left.
 
Another option that would potentially be worth going for is bellamy down the left and Carroll up front. Many will remember Carroll had his best game in Red so far last time we played City and if memory serves beat them 3-1.
 
Other than that I think the team should stay the same across the board apart from Kelly. I think Johnson is fantastic going forward but defensively he was dodgy throughout the game and we have seen it time and time again, so it does not appear he is learning that part of the game. Kelly is fit (played two under 21 games last weekend and scored two goals) so we know he can provide an offensive threat  as well. We have seen that several times for Liverpool as well. Knowning their inury records both Kelly and Agger will get injured again so there will be chances for the likes of Johnson and Carra to get in the team.  
 
As mentioned before because of Johnson's extreme abilities offensively I think at times we would be better served with playing him at right mid and give Dirk Kuyt a rest. He can go past a man, can shoot and cross with both feet and does work reasonably hard defensively when he plays midfield if judging from the Portsmouth games I have seen him play there.
 
Johnson also did well at left back last season (even defensively).The reason I believe he can do well there is mainly due to turning most players outside to the wing as he is stronger on his right foot. A consequence is less space for wingers attacking him and therefore if gets caught he is pacy enough to make up for his mistakes and they rarely cut inside him. Do not know if that makes any sense but he just seemed to function better defensively at left back and still provide an offensive threat. Having said that Enrique is much in the same mold and is probably the better player and therefore I want him to continue on left back. I think he deserves a place in the Spain squad now that Capdevilla has lost his place in the first 11.
 
To conclude on that matter I think Kenny considers Glen Johnson a better right back (maybe due to experience) than Kelly and after his goal on the weekend against Cheslea I dont think he will lose his place so it is more wishful thinking on my part than anything else.
 
Enough tangents and back to the game. I thought Lucas, Adam, Kuyt, Suarez and even Henderson (when he came in) worked tirelessly throughtout the match. Adam had many great long range passes (one who led to a goal) and also stole possession many times often due to the work of the people around him. Lucas marshalled well in front of defence and Maxi took his goal nicely. Apart from that I did not see him that much I thought, but he has a knack of arrriving in the box at just the right time and I want to commend him for that.
 
Yet on his day I think Downing has more passing quality, has two feet and can shoot and cross with both and he can go past a man due to his pace. These areas Maxi just falls short in my book. It is good to have the depth to call on when needed however and hopefully Downing can start, come out with a point to prove and I thought he looked better when he came on late the weekend.
 
Another interesting take on the tactics from the league game http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/20/chelsea-1-2-liverpool-johnson-tactics/
 
YNWA,
Stian
 
If you question our committment to the cause http://www.lfccalgary.com/video/WinkinOwl.mpg

No comments: